Hostage held at Cologne main train station

Police are urging people to stay away from Cologne's main train station

Police said on Twitter that emergency personnel were carrying out CPR.

Several local outlets reported that multiple people may have been taken hostage.

There had been reports of shots fired, although police later said this was not the case.

The woman was treated at the scene for "light" injuries, police said.

Before getting into the pharmacy, the man lit a Molotov cocktail inside a restaurant at the station, Cologne police said. The area in and around the station - a major transport hub - has been cordoned off.

Heavily armed police now surround the station, which has been evacuated and closed off to the public.

United Nations chief calls for more attention to mental health
He added: "Every suicide is a preventable death and we are determined to do everything we can to tackle the tragedy of suicide". Currently, too little attention is paid to the issue, as a result of which tens of thousands of people suffer in silence.

Protesters disrupt Senate vote on Kavanaugh
The Senate vote was 50-48.Only one Democrat, Joe Manchin of West Virginia, joined Republicans in backing Kavanaugh. Kavanaugh's nomination seals a conservative majority on the nine-seat high court, possibly for decades to come.

Predicted line-up against Mol Vidi: Ruben Loftus-Cheek to finally start?
He has to improve his physical condition of course but he is a great option in this position. Ross Barkley: The England global is expected to make a return in the midfield.

A woman has been taken hostage at the main train station in the German city of Cologne, police said on Monday.

"We're doing everything to get the hostage out of there unharmed", Gilles said. He said parts of the station, one of the biggest in the country, were closed off, as well as the Breslauer Platz square behind the station.

Deutsche Bahn cancelled or delayed train services in Cologne during the stand-off.

Police negotiated with him in a bid to defuse the tense situation and ascertain his motive, then stormed the pharmacy around 3:00 pm (1300 GMT). It was not immediately clear how he was injured.

The attacker had to be resuscitated and was in intensive care for "extremely serious" injuries sustained when officers stormed the shop, they added.